Here are five trends today in luxurious and up-to-date window treatments:
1) Use metallic fabrics. It can be sheers or heavy satins. But metallics are hot. Bronze, golds, coppers are all big.
2) Line your drapes with blackout fabric. Just like in a hotel room, this will block out the sun and save cooling and heating costs in summer and winter respectively. Of course, you'll save your privacy too! This trend is a bit new and is being credited to the "boutique hotel" decorating style currently in vogue.
3) Hang your window treatment from tabs or rings with metal grommets on the top of your drapes. This is a modern style but one that's very popular. In fact, at some retailers, it's hard to find anything but this type of drape (think Pottery Barn, Renovation Hardware, Crate and Barrel).
4) Adjust light and privacy using wooden blinds. Either white or wood, this is a popular feature for family rooms, living rooms, eat-in kitchens, and studies. Shop around as some faux (fancy French word for fake) versions are hard to tell from their real wood cousins and are much cheaper. Also, consider whether you want your blinds hung inside mount (inside the window trim/frame) or outside. Outside is easier to install (and measure) but inside mounted blinds offer a much cleaner and elegant look. Be sure your windows are deep enough though to hold the blinds.
5) Add trims and embellishments to the bottom and sides of your drapes. This enables you to add luxury as well as other colors to make additional patterns and room elements easier to coordinate in your room.
When selecting window treatments, remember the impact and statement they can make in your room. Consider these trends to make your windows a showcase!